Will you benefit from a Pilates class?
So, you wake up with a sore back, neck ache, stiff shoulders or some other ailment. What is the one thing you should not make an excuse not to do? Well the answer is, avoid going to a Pilates class. So why is that?
Since Pilates is a total body workout, it can prepare and help to repair your body for the challenges of everyday life. Pilates is a specific type of exercise that focuses on both the mind and body to achieve optimum performance.
Keeping it brief, here are some of the major benefits:
- Improves posture, bad posture often plays a part in a lot of our everyday aches and pains. Pilates teaches you to be conscious about your optimum anatomical alignment in both static positions and during movement.
- Pilates will sculpt muscles. If you are currently hiding those muscles under a layer of adipose tissue (fat!) then why not try combining the Pilates with cardio exercise.
- Pilates will help to improve body awareness by improving balance and co-ordination, thus giving a greater connection between both the mind and body.
- The movements used in Pilates are also often used for injury rehabilitation. Being low impact it makes it a great form of physical therapy.
- Pilates can help contribute towards weight loss.
- Stress reduction is another benefit of Pilates as it trains your mind to focus on the small movements. The practice of correct breathing is also related to stress reduction.
Is it right for you? The simple answer is a definite yes, however you should always check with a medical practitioner if you have any contra-indications.
One of our members has kindly backed up our findings by answering the following questions so you can see how they have benefited from Pilates.
- How long have you been attending Pilates for?
Around 2 and half years
- Before starting Pilates classes, what was your opinion of Pilates?
Had never heard much about it so didn’t know what it was about just thought it was like yoga.
- What were the reasons for you starting Pilates?
Recommend to me by the NHS OHSAS after being off work due to a slipped disc.
- How has Pilates transformed your back and overall body?
Not had any issue with my back since. I also attended prenatal Pilates which was extremely helpful throughout my pregnancy. And returning to Pilates after help me return quicker to fitness after an emergency c section.
- Has Pilates helped you with other sport/ fitness?
It’s helped to be more flexible and has been very helpful with my posture at work and ensure my back is strong enough.
- What are your favourite Pilates exercises and why?
I enjoy the ball and exercises on it. I enjoy the variety at Pilates.
As you can see Dale used Pilates to help with her back problems and stills continues to prevent any problems re-occurring. So now you know you should be attending, stop making excuses. Pilates will help to promote a healthy body so book now and we look forward to seeing you.